News about support to increase efficiency, reduce bills and tackle climate change. Please let us know of any news, events or resources you come across that we can share on a Green Sparks email.
Best wishes from Abigail, Lynda and Marion
Funding for home improvements designed to improve energy efficiency and reduce carbon emissions – Grants of up to £25,000 will be available to eligible homeowners and landlords. See:
The scheme for Cumbria is being run by Homelife Carlisle. People who are interested need to submit an expression of interest as soon as possible. Forms can be downloaded from the link above or by emailing email@example.com
To be eligible you will need to:
- Live in Cumbria and be an owner occupier or a privately rent
- Have a combined household income of less than £30,000 per year (if you have 3 or more household members the income may be up to £38,000 depending on your local authority’s ECO flex policy) OR be in receipt of a means-tested benefit.
- Have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of D, E, F or G. If you do not have an EPC then we can arrange this as part of the grant application.
Energy measures that are eligible under the scheme include:
- External Wall Insulation (EWI).
- Internal wall and room in roof insulation.
- Solar PV.
- Loft, under-floor and cavity wall Insulation.
- Air source heat pumps.
- Smart heating controls.
- Single to double glazing.
- Park Home insulation.
- Air and ground source heat pumps
You can find your home’s Energy Performance Certificate here: https://www.gov.uk/find-energy-certificate
https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/energy-at-home/ has a wealth of information for people looking for both ‘quick fix’ and larger scale energy saving measures.
Cold to Cosy Homes Cumbria can help homeowners and tenants make a real difference to energy efficiency. Help available includes:
- Energy-efficient equipment such as FREE LED light bulbs, sent to you in the post
- Professionally installed draught proofing
- Help with your energy bills and advice on switching energy tariff
- Referral to support agencies or for other grants
See https://cafs.org.uk/cold-to-cosy-homes-cumbria/ or call 01768 216500.
Rusland Horizons is running three sessions on propagating and planting wildflowers on Friday 15th April. To book your place go to https://www.ruslandhorizons.org/whats-on.aspx
This day is part of the Colton Parish Council Greening Project
Cumbria Action for Sustainability (CaFS) has a number of upcoming events including:
- Open Climate and Carbon Literacy Training Course
- Climate Economics event
For a full list of events see https://cafs.org.uk/events/
The Freshwater Biological Association (FBA) and Lancaster University, are looking for volunteers to take part in their ‘Love Your Lake: Big Windermere Survey’ , taking place in Summer 2022. The FBA has produced an Information Note ‘The State of Windermere’ see: www.fba.org.uk Volunteers who would like to take part in the survey are asked to contact the FBA via email to express their interest, using: firstname.lastname@example.org