The site known as YMCA North Camp on Windermere has been put up for sale by YMCA Fylde Coast with the aim to invest in the southern end of the site.
Currently the North Camp site is home to:
- South Windermere Sailing Club – a family-friendly RYA-affiliated community providing safe and fun access to sailing for people of all ages
- Old School Kitchen – not only a delicious café, but a service preparing and delivering hot meals to local schools
- Lakes Laser Tag – fun, zero impact, action game played outside in the fresh air by all ages from age 6
- LakeSUP offering the public paddleboard hire and tuition
- Freshwater Biological Association – all about protecting the health of our freshwater ecosystems (including Windermere!)
The local community raised a lot of money to enable the YMCA to purchase this land believing that it would benefit local young people and those from further afield, in particular young people from deprived areas and those who might otherwise not have the opportunity to experience the type of activity on offer or the benefits of staying close to nature in the Lake District.
Furthermore, the local community is concerned that any development on this land may be detrimental to the ecology of the lake and the land adjoining the lake and have long term harmful impacts on the local environment.